- gilt-edged ˈgilt-edged adjective FINANCEgilt-edged investments are the safest available, usually in government bonds:
• The safest place to put your money is with the government. Over hundreds of years, it has never defaulted on gilt-edged bonds.
• the rating agency's gilt-edged triple-A bond rating
* * *A term used to describe securities that carry little risk. Government bonds in both the UK and South Africa are known as gilts. The name comes from original UK government bond certificates which had gilded edges.
* * *gilt-edged UK US adjective FINANCE► used to describe financial products that are the most secure or of the highest value: »
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
gilt-edged — [ ,gılt edʒd ] adjective 1. ) gilt edged INVESTMENTS are considered to be very safe and reliable a ) used about other things that are very valuable or reliable: a gilt edged promise 2. ) with gold edges: a gilt edged mirror … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
Gilt-edged — Gilt edge Gilt edge , Gilt edged Gilt edged , a. 1. Having a gilt edge; as, gilt edged paper. [1913 Webster] 2. Of the best quality; said of negotiable paper, etc. [Slang, U. S.] [1913 Webster] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
gilt-edged — gilt′ edged or gilt′ edge adj. 1) having the edge or edges gilded: gilt edged paper[/ex] 2) of the highest or best quality, kind, rating, etc.: gilt edged bonds[/ex] • Etymology: 1810–20 … From formal English to slang
gilt-edged — [gilt′ejd΄] adj. 1. having gilded edges, as the pages of a book 2. of the highest quality, grade, or value [gilt edged securities]: Also gilt edge … English World dictionary
gilt-edged — adj technical gilt edged ↑stocks or ↑shares do not give you much ↑interest (=additional money) but are considered very safe as they are sold mainly by governments … Dictionary of contemporary English
gilt-edged — /gilt ejd /, adj. 1. having the edge or edges gilded: gilt edged paper. 2. of the highest or best quality, kind, etc. 3. Finance. a. (of securities and bonds) of the highest rating or quality; secure. b. (of bonds) government backed or guaranteed … Universalium
gilt-edged — ► ADJECTIVE ▪ referring to stocks or securities (such as gilts) that are regarded as extremely reliable investments … English terms dictionary
gilt-edged — adjective 1. of the highest quality or value gilt edged securities gilt edged credentials • Similar to: ↑superior 2. having gilded edges as the pages of a book • Similar to: ↑adorned, ↑decorated * * … Useful english dictionary
gilt-edged — UK [ˌɡɪltˈedʒd] / US [ˌɡɪlt ˈedʒd] adjective 1) a) gilt edged investments are considered to be very safe and reliable b) used about other things that are very valuable or reliable a gilt edged promise 2) with gold edges a gilt edged mirror … English dictionary
gilt-edged — /ˈgɪlt ɛdʒd / (say gilt ejd) adjective 1. having the edges gilded: gilt edged paper. 2. of the highest order or quality: gilt edged securities … Australian English dictionary